Play Reading Series by Medusa Theatre Society
- Submissions Deadline: November 21st, 2022 – December 30th, 2022, 11:59pm PST
- Short Play Selection Results: January 30th, 2023
- 50 minute and Full length Play Selection Results: February 28th, 2023
Fresh from the happy and wonderfully huge success of our first Cultural Celebration presented by Rumble Theatre (May 2022), Medusa Theatre Society is now embarking on our next adventure. For the first phase of this new series, we would like to invite MENAT playwrights to submit their creative works for our Play Reading Series.
Here is what we are looking for:
- Three or four original maximum 15 minute plays by MENAT artists based in BC
- One maximum 50 minute original play by a MENAT artist based in BC
- One full length original play by a MENAT artist who is Canadian or internationally based
We will hold three separate play readings which will take place between February – June 2023. These will be staged, elevated readings performed by professional actors in front of a live audience. We will be offering a Q&A portion with the playwright to discuss their work, the themes present, what drew them to the story being told, and what the near future holds for them. These readings will be filmed, and the footage will be available to the playwright for archival purposes, to use as supplementary materials in the process of getting their works presented.
Judging from the success of our last event, it’s never been clearer that the works of MENAT artists are desired and valued. Our goal is to showcase that the MENAT experience is a universal experience peppered with the richness of our cultural backgrounds.
We honor you and look forward to reading your submissions.
To submit your work, please click HERE.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to Panthea Vatandoost at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Is this paid? Yes! Thanks to funding from BCAC. Fees will be discussed with the artists during the contracting process.
- Does my play have to be about being MENAT? No! Your play can be about anything. We are not into pigeonholing.
- Can I submit multiple short plays? Yes! However we will only showcase one piece per artist.
- Can I participate in the Q&A if I’m currently residing outside BC? Yes! We will enlist the help of digital technicians to make it happen.